The Faculty of Arts is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for a doctoral student in the area of religious history. This is one of two job openings within the ERC-funded project “Between saints and celebrities. The devotion and promotion of stigmatics in Europe, c. 1800-1950” of dr. Tine Van Osselaer at the Ruusbroec Institute of the University of Antwerp (starting date: 1 April 2015, 48 months). The project examines the popular perception of stigmatics and laymen’s use of the media in their devotion and promotion. More in particular, focus is on the response to the stigmatics reported in five European countries (France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Belgium) during the nineteenth and twentieth century.
- You are involved in the research project “Between saints and celebrities” and prepare a doctoral thesis in the area of religious history (on the reception of Italian stigmatics and the Vatican response);
- You contribute to teaching and research in the Ruusbroec Institute.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in history, philology or another field of humanities/social sciences, and display a clear interest in religious, cultural and/or social history;
- You can submit outstanding academic results;
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university;
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy;
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative;
- You have a good command of Italian and Latin;
- You are willing to spend time abroad.
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- The start date of scholarship will be 1 April 2015;
- A full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.167,88 – € 2.486,53;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date February 22, 2015;
- Your application contains the following information: your cv including a list of marks/grades of bachelor and master studies, your letter of motivation, the contact information of two referees (including e-mail, phone number and a description of your relationship with the referees). Attach also one writing example (e.g. chapter of MA thesis);
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel;
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place in the first week of March;
- More information about the application form can be obtained from Ben Daems (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 51);
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact dr. Tine Van Osselaer firstname.lastname@example.org ;